Yes, you can but:

  • You would lose the death in service lump sum grant
  • You would pay tax on the pension contributions which are now in your pay
  • You would pay a higher rate of NI (class 1) as you are no longer in an occupational pension scheme
  • Note: your pension is calculated on the last day you were in the scheme and so will not reflect any subsequent pay increases.